[wpkg-users] Silent installs of MSI or exe files.

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Mon Aug 10 23:42:30 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 10. August 2009 23:28:07 schrieb David Christensen:
> Malte Starostik wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> I started investigating the mst option, but was unsure if that option
> >> would work via WPKG.  With the issue at hand I need to include a new ini
> >> file that contains site specific configuration options.  I downloaded
> >> orca and created an mst, but wasn't clear on how to include the ini as
> >> part of the mst or even what needed to be the final output after
> >> everything  was changed.  This is about the time I started looking at
> >> autoit, but based on your response it doesn't look like a valid
> >> solution.
> >>
> >> I'd like to try toe msi/mst route but I have limited knowledge of this
> >> area, any pointers on where to look for howtos etc would be appreciated.
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > you might have a look at this one: http://www.instedit.com/ it's IMHO
> > quite nicer to handle than orca.  Then you just use sth. along the lines
> > of msiexec /i path\to\setup.msi TRANSFORMS=path\to\transform.mst /qn
> > /norestart as install command.  Alternatively, if it's only about
> > dropping an additional file into the target system, you might as well
> > install the msi without transform and add another command like
> > %COMSPEC% /c copy /y path\to\config.ini path\to\destination\
> >
> > HTH,
> > Malte
>
> Malte,
>
> Thanks for the info, based on my current need I will take your advice
> and install the msi without the transform and copy the ini file over.
> Is the %COMSPEC% command you provided intended to be appended to the
> existing entry in the packages.xml file?

it goes like:
<package id='myapp' name='MyApp' revision='20090810'>
  <check .../>
  <install cmd='msiexec /i %SOFTWARE%\MyApp.msi /qn /norestart'>
    <exit code='3010' reboot='postponed'/>
  </install>
  <install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c %SOFTWARE%\MyAppini "%ProgramFiles%\MyApp\'/>
</package>

where %COMSPEC% expands to the fully qualified name of cmd.exe on NT based
Windows versions and command.com on DOS based ones.

All commands given in <install/> tags are run sequentially as long as they
succeed and don't indicate an immediate reboot.  If you need more than a few
commands or more complex ones, you can also put them into a separate .cmd file
and include a command to call that one from packages.xml.

Cheers,
Malte