[wpkg-users] Silent installs of MSI or exe files.

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Aug 12 13:27:49 CEST 2009

Hi Charles,

Charles Gargent wrote:
> try %WINDIR%

I think %windir% has been used in pre-Windows NT times while starting from
Windows NT %SystemRoot% has been introduced.

Have a look at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
and you will find windir to point at %SystemRoot%.

So if you're running Windows NT or newer (2000, XP, Vista, 7) I recommend using
the built-in %SystemRoot% variable.

I did not find an official statement but the usage of %windir% on modern Windows
systems might be deprecated.