[wpkg-users] wpkg.xmk on the client

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Mon Aug 17 10:17:36 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 17. August 2009 10:08:09 schrieb Johannes.Brix at evidian.com:
> Hello again,

Hello again :-)

> I face some problems, related to the local wpkg.xml.
>
> 1. For what actions is it used beside reflecting the client installation
> status?
> I have seen that e.g. upgrade and uninstall commands seems to be taken
> from this file.
> Why and why not from the global packages.xml ?

Upgrade commands are taken from packages.xml.  Remove commands may have
changed for a new version, so it's safer to use the ones from the local
wpkg.xml - as they were defined at the time of installation.  This interacts
with the /noUpgradeBeforeRemove parameter though.  Without that, packages are
upgraded to the latest version from packages.xml before removal to give you a
chance to fix broken removal commands.

> 2. Phantom package in local wpkg.xml
> I created a new package for distribution of our antivirus software on our
> servers. See below.
> The "uninstall" information in the registry is the same, the difference
> are the used installation packages.
>
> With the next run of update, on half of my mainted PCs, I now have this
> package in the local wpkg.xml
> and everytime update is executed, it tries to uninstall thie package
> because it is not assigned to this PC.
> I have no clue why this package has been added to the local wpkg.xml file.
>
> Is it possible that wpkg.js tries under certain condions to check all
> available packages
> in relation to a PC, adds it to the local wpkg.xml and then tries to
> uninstall it if not assigned in the profiles and hosts?

Are you using the /force option?  If that is turned on, every known package
(everything in packages.xml) will have its checks processed and everything
that's not in the profile or its dependencies will be removed.  Without
/force, packages that have never been directly or indireclty included in the
profile will be left alone.

Regard,
Malte