[wpkg-users] Wpkg client

K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 21:19:41 CET 2009

Good evening gentlefolk,

  Top down posting huh? ;-)

  Last time I did that I got a good slap on the wrist :-)

  Comments below...

Keith/Keefy

 I can't remember seeing it either. I don't think anyone realised or had much

 experience using Vista at the time.

 The wiki is open for editing so feel free to make a note of it :-)

  I'd offer, but if you've read any of my messages to this list you'd see I'm

not the concisest of people in the world :-}

> /Michael

 Err, nope. (see above)

> > From: michael at ugilt.net

> > To: K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk; wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org

> > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:16:27 +0100

> > Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] Wpkg client

> > Keefy.

> > Did you ever had time to dig further into this?

> > - asking as I'd really would like to see notifications working in Vista

> > Best regards

> > Michael

 I did and didn't. That's always a good way to start these things eh?

  Essentially, every route seemed to take me back to the complexity of

 circumventing the Vista security model.

 I followed through on a few more articles but essentially trying to get a

 service to "interact" with the desktop seems to involve a large amount of

 rather complex C(++) and a masochistic programming tendancy.

  It basically all seemed to be based around the service impersonating the user

 and accessing the desktop whilst they were being logged in or using a helper

 program to report things at the users desktop.

  None of it seemed to work with WPKG's ideas well.

  I even had a look at the new way Vista handles the logon box (what used to

 be handled by the GINA.DLL (sp?)) in case you could find a way of attaching

 WPKG.client off it that way.

 ..and even whether you could write a Group Policy extension and report it

 through that way.

  It isn't all doom and gloom though.

  The .NET COM DLL idea is still hanging in there. I really just haven't had

 time to write it up with RL stuff floating around. I'll see if I can grab a bit

 of time this weekend to do something at least. I'm just playing with Joomla at

 this very moment to see if I can set up a site for the WPKG.Utility stuff I

 did a while back.

  Doing a port of WPKG.JS to JScript.NET does seem pretty feasible though. It'd

 still be a fair bit of hard work but it does seem feasible...

  Have fun,

   Keefy

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now! <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/111354030/direct/01/>