[wpkg-users] msiexec 1619 error in Boot Camp but not in Parallels

Patrick Lee plee at cca.edu
Wed Jul 15 19:36:06 CEST 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Falko Trojahn wrote:

> Hi
>> I'm in the middle of implementing WPKG to manage the Windows side
>> on a
>> bunch of Macs running Boot Camp. I've been doing my testing on an
>> instance of Windows XP in Parallels on my own machine without a
>> problem. However, when I install the WPKG client in Boot Camp and
>> import the settings from my WPKG client in Parallels, packages with
>> MSI installers will fail with a 1619 error. Packages that do not
>> involve a MSI installer work just fine on the Boot Camp computer,
>> such
>> as Pidgin.
>>
>> I've done some googling and browsing the archives of this list and
>> the
>> 1619 error indicates that the package is unavailable at the given
>> location. On my Boot Camp computers, I've been able to map a drive to
>> the share with all my software and open the MSI installer without a
>> problem. I've also tried running the command specified in the profile
>> like this:
>>
>> \\my-test.server.cca.edu\Software\PC\7zip\7z645.msi
> But you debug log shows:
>
> Executing command: msiexec /i "%SOFTWARE%\7zip\7z465.msi" /qn
>
> without "PC\7zip" ...

My %SOFTWARE% variable is set to \\my-test-server.cca.edu\Software\PC
so I think it comes out all the same.

>> When I run the command above, I get the error "This installation
>> package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that
>> you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that
>> this is a valid Windows Installer package" but this happens on both
>> my
>> Parallels and Boot Camp instances of WPKG.
>>
>> I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening since I'm importing
>> the
>> working settings from my Parallels instance. I'm not much of a
>> Windows
>> guy so I'm inclined to start with a fresh install of Windows XP
>> within
>> Boot Camp but that's something I'd rather not do. My feeling is that
>> there's something not configured correctly outside of WPKG on my Boot
>> Camp install but I'm not too sure where to start looking since I'm
>> not
>> much of a Windows guy. Is there anything else I should be checking?
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
> Perhaps you could try to copy the msi to local drive first like in
> this
> example package:
>
>    <package
>      id="XX"
>      name="XX"
>      revision="1"
>      reboot="false"
>      priority="100">
>        <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="XX" />
>        <check type="file" condition="exists" path="%programfiles%
> \XX" />
>
>        <variable name='msiapp' value='XX'/>
>        <variable name='msiname' value='XX.msi'/>
>        <!-- Key auslesen: recht Maustaste auf .msi, dann Dateiversion,
> dann Erweitert -->
>        <variable name='msikey' value='{}'/>
>
>        <!-- Download:  -->
>        <install cmd='cmd /C copy /Y
> "%SOFTWARE%\packages\%MSIAPP%\%MSINAME%" c:\NETINST\' />
>        <install cmd='msiexec /i "C:\netinst\%MSINAME%" /qb-! /
> norestart
> /log "%SystemDrive%\netinst\logs\%MSIAPP%.log" ALLUSERS=1
> EULA_ACCEPT=YES '>
>           <exit code="0" />
>           <exit code="3010" reboot="false" />
>        </install>
>        <install cmd='cmd /C del /q c:\NETINST\%MSINAME%'/>
>
>        <upgrade cmd='cmd /C copy /Y
> "%SOFTWARE%\packages\%MSIAPP%\%MSINAME%" c:\NETINST\' />
>        <upgrade cmd='msiexec /i
> "%SOFTWARE%\packages\%MSIAPP%\%MSINAME%" /qb-! /norestart /log
> "%SystemDrive%\netinst\logs\%MSIAPP%.log" ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES
> '>
>           <exit code="0" />
>           <exit code="3010" reboot="false" />
>        </upgrade>
>        <upgrade cmd='cmd /C del /q c:\NETINST\%MSINAME%'/>
>
>        <remove cmd='MsiExec.exe /qn /x%MSIKEY%' >
> [...]

I've tried running the installer locally by having my package install
from a local drive but I still get the same 1619 error. I've started
working with a fresh install of XP and it seems to be working so I
think that my current Windows image is corrupted somehow. Considering
that I've been using the same image for the last three years, I'm not
too surprised. I'm at a point where it'd probably be easier (and less
time consuming) to start fresh.

Thanks for the help!

Patrick