[wpkg-users] msiexec 1619 error in Boot Camp but not in Parallels

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Wed Jul 15 13:05:05 CEST 2009

Hi
> I'm in the middle of implementing WPKG to manage the Windows side on a
> bunch of Macs running Boot Camp. I've been doing my testing on an
> instance of Windows XP in Parallels on my own machine without a
> problem. However, when I install the WPKG client in Boot Camp and
> import the settings from my WPKG client in Parallels, packages with
> MSI installers will fail with a 1619 error. Packages that do not
> involve a MSI installer work just fine on the Boot Camp computer, such
> as Pidgin.
>
> I've done some googling and browsing the archives of this list and the
> 1619 error indicates that the package is unavailable at the given
> location. On my Boot Camp computers, I've been able to map a drive to
> the share with all my software and open the MSI installer without a
> problem. I've also tried running the command specified in the profile
> like this:
>
> \\my-test.server.cca.edu\Software\PC\7zip\7z645.msi
But you debug log shows:

Executing command: msiexec /i "%SOFTWARE%\7zip\7z465.msi" /qn

without "PC\7zip" ...

> When I run the command above, I get the error "This installation
> package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that
> you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that
> this is a valid Windows Installer package" but this happens on both my
> Parallels and Boot Camp instances of WPKG.
>
> I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening since I'm importing the
> working settings from my Parallels instance. I'm not much of a Windows
> guy so I'm inclined to start with a fresh install of Windows XP within
> Boot Camp but that's something I'd rather not do. My feeling is that
> there's something not configured correctly outside of WPKG on my Boot
> Camp install but I'm not too sure where to start looking since I'm not
> much of a Windows guy. Is there anything else I should be checking?
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Perhaps you could try to copy the msi to local drive first like in this
example package:

    <package
      id="XX"
      name="XX"
      revision="1"
      reboot="false"
      priority="100">
        <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="XX" />
        <check type="file" condition="exists" path="%programfiles%\XX" />

        <variable name='msiapp' value='XX'/>
        <variable name='msiname' value='XX.msi'/>
        <!-- Key auslesen: recht Maustaste auf .msi, dann Dateiversion,
dann Erweitert -->
        <variable name='msikey' value='{}'/>

        <!-- Download:  -->
        <install cmd='cmd /C copy /Y
"%SOFTWARE%\packages\%MSIAPP%\%MSINAME%" c:\NETINST\' />
        <install cmd='msiexec /i "C:\netinst\%MSINAME%" /qb-! /norestart
/log "%SystemDrive%\netinst\logs\%MSIAPP%.log" ALLUSERS=1
EULA_ACCEPT=YES '>
           <exit code="0" />
           <exit code="3010" reboot="false" />
        </install>
        <install cmd='cmd /C del /q c:\NETINST\%MSINAME%'/>

        <upgrade cmd='cmd /C copy /Y
"%SOFTWARE%\packages\%MSIAPP%\%MSINAME%" c:\NETINST\' />
        <upgrade cmd='msiexec /i
"%SOFTWARE%\packages\%MSIAPP%\%MSINAME%" /qb-! /norestart /log
"%SystemDrive%\netinst\logs\%MSIAPP%.log" ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES '>
           <exit code="0" />
           <exit code="3010" reboot="false" />
        </upgrade>
        <upgrade cmd='cmd /C del /q c:\NETINST\%MSINAME%'/>

        <remove cmd='MsiExec.exe /qn /x%MSIKEY%' >
          <exit code="0" />
          <exit code="1605" />
        </remove>

    </package>