[wpkg-users] Power preferences

Anders Nilsson andersn at isy.liu.se
Mon Mar 16 17:31:37 CET 2009

I run the wpkg.js client from Windows XP startup script, which means
wpkg runs as the system user (I think), and try to install the following
self-made package:

<package id="powerproperties"
  name="Power properties for monitor and standby"
  revision="3"
  reboot="false"
  priority="10">

  <install cmd='powercfg /S "Home/Office Desk"' />
  <install cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /monitor-timeout-ac 15' />
  <install cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /standby-timeout-ac 240' />
  <upgrade cmd='powercfg /S "Home/Office Desk"' />
  <upgrade cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /monitor-timeout-ac 15' />
  <upgrade cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /standby-timeout-ac 240' />
</package>

The problem is that the settings don't stick, that is nothing concerning
power properties as changed. The client wpkg log file thinks everything
is OK and that the package is successfully installed (or upgraded when
applicable).

Running the very same commands logged in as Administrator things work
just as expected. When nobody is logged on the monitor shuts down after
15 minutes and the system goes to standby in 4 hours.

As far as I can see these power property settings is not a user
preference, or is that my problem here?

  /Anders