[wpkg-users] Power preferences

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 16 17:39:40 CET 2009

Anders Nilsson schrieb:
> I run the wpkg.js client from Windows XP startup script, which means
> wpkg runs as the system user (I think), and try to install the following
> self-made package:
>
> <package id="powerproperties"
>   name="Power properties for monitor and standby"
>   revision="3"
>   reboot="false"
>   priority="10">
>
>   <install cmd='powercfg /S "Home/Office Desk"' />
>   <install cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /monitor-timeout-ac 15' />
>   <install cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /standby-timeout-ac 240' />
>   <upgrade cmd='powercfg /S "Home/Office Desk"' />
>   <upgrade cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /monitor-timeout-ac 15' />
>   <upgrade cmd='powercfg /X "Home/Office Desk" /standby-timeout-ac 240' />
> </package>
>
> The problem is that the settings don't stick, that is nothing concerning
> power properties as changed. The client wpkg log file thinks everything
> is OK and that the package is successfully installed (or upgraded when
> applicable).
>
> Running the very same commands logged in as Administrator things work
> just as expected. When nobody is logged on the monitor shuts down after
> 15 minutes and the system goes to standby in 4 hours.
>
> As far as I can see these power property settings is not a user
> preference, or is that my problem here?

I think this is one of this rare commands which will work only if they
are started on a proper "screen".
WPKG Client executes commands "in the background", which means, not on
your primary display.
You can compare it to running these commands when logged in via Terminal
Services - although technically you can change resolution or power
setting there, it will have no effect on your primary display.

I think it's best to run such commands in autologin scripts.