[wpkg-users] Just running one package at each run

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 20:57:13 CET 2009

> I've a need for some sort of mechanism to just deploy one package at a time
> at each run of wpkg.js.
>
> Some packages (Anti-virus, service packs etc) can take a long time to
> install and I'd like to have WPKG just do one of these packages on one run
> of wpkg.js (e.g. one package the 1st time and then the next package on the
> next run).
>
> Is there an easy way of doing this at the moment?
>
> The other big wish is to have big (as in long time to install) packages be
> installed in sequence -e.g. The 2Simple Total Software package takes about
> 30 mins to install - I don't want all the computers in a suite to sit there
> for this time the next day but I wouldn't mind 1 or a few of them to do the
> install. But I don't want to have to keep altering host/profile files each
> day.
>
> Any ideas on how to achieve this one? :)
>
> regards
>
> Simon

Not sure on the one at a time but:

1) Schedule WPKG to run at shutdown, it's something I've wondered on, but is not useful on laptops really (battery life)...

2) If the WPKG window is not displayed then software is installed in the background so users won't be aware of it beyond any possible slowdown of the PC

3) Use a combination of WOL and PSEXEC to boot and shutdown the PC's at a scheduled time, e.g. during the night, or an hour or two before the schools open - I do something similar on a non-WPKG site with commercial software management tools and it works really well (except for wireless laptops), PC's are ready to use when staff and students begin work.

Chris