[wpkg-users] A feature request.

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:26:22 CEST 2009

> Hi,
>
> my organization is composed by many offices. The majority of them is on
> LAN, but there are another connected via ADSL to the LAN.
>
> So, you know that installing the 140MB OpenOffice 3.1 on ADSL is painfully
> slow.
>
> In all machines WPKG does the install/upgrade at shutdown.
>
> A nice feature would be the possibility to use a startup script that
> downloads the openoffice package in background from a shared folder, but I
> don't know if WPKG permits to execute user defined scripts at startup (I
> have configured it to run at shutdown)?

Sounds familiar...

I have 16 schools all using WPKG for software deployment.  Each site has a local NAS where software installation files are held, this NAS also holds a local copy of the wpkg files and the hosts/profile xml files.

I use DropBox on a PC at each site - this synchronises files and folders across all my sites so I just drop a new software package in my local folder and all sites begin to download this to their site.

I then use LogMeIn Free on a PC at each site to log in and copy the downloaded files to the local NAS, update the profile.xml file for the new software and that's it all done.

Aside from purchasing a NAS for each site, the rest of this is free (DropBox is limited to 2GBytes storage for the free version) and has worked well for around 6 months now.

I don't think the auto-download of software is something wpkg itself should be handling, if you can have local storage at each site then a NAS or similar network drive is perhaps the easiest option?

Chris