[wpkg-users] IE8 on Vista? Does this worn for anyone else?

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:40:29 CEST 2009

I have the following package xml for IE8 on Vista:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<packages>

<package id='IE8Vista' name='Internet Explorer 8 for Vista' revision='700' priority='56' reboot='false' >
  <!-- Microsoft Internet Explorer -->
  <check type='uninstall' condition='exists' path='Windows Internet Explorer 8' />
  <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\IE8 Vista\IE8-WindowsVista-x86-ENU.exe" /quiet /no-default /nobackup /norestart' >
  </install>

  <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\IE8 Vista\IE8-WindowsVista-x86-ENU.exe" /quiet /no-default /nobackup /norestart' >
  </upgrade>
</package>

</packages>

The files are definitely there etc and I can install manually from the location.  When I allocate this via wpkg I get the following error on a Vista Business PC:

Could not process (install) package 'Internet Explorer 8 for Vista' (IE8Vista):
Exit code returned non-successful value (4) on command '"%SOFTWARE%\IE8 Vista\IE8-WindowsVista-x86-ENU.exe" /quiet /no-default /nobackup /norestart'.

Should I be using the IE 8 Admin Kit from Microsoft to create the IE8 package or am I missing something obvious?  I have a similar package for XP which works fine with the same commands as above.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris