[wpkg-users] Problems with WPKG Active directory Installation

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Sun Sep 6 01:20:47 CEST 2009

Am Samstag, 5. September 2009 21:08:49 schrieb Pendl Stefan:
> > Hello Malte,
> >
> > thanks for your answer. Actually, I would like to have a
> > clientless solution. Therefore I installed WPKG with AD and
> > configured a group policy as discribed in
> > http://wpkg.org/WPKG_with_Active_Directory to run "wpkg.js"
> > during system boot of a client.
> >
> > As you mentioned in your Mail, read permissions for
> > "everyone" are not suffient. But read permissions for "Domain
> > Computers" also doesn't work. Tested on the client as user
> > "System" using "psexec -s" (Thanks for this hint!).
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> You will have to allow guest access, this is what the SYSTEM account uses.

Depends.  AFAIK Guest access is only used as a fallback if it cannot use the
computer account.  In order not to give away the computer account's password,
this kind of login only works if both the server and client are domain members
and the client can authenticate to the server with Kerberos.  I can't tell if
this requires some special setting with a Windows server though, I'm running
samba on the server and can definately tell that the clients login with their
computer accounts.  But out of curiosity I'll give it a try on monday.  My
WPKGified clients all run Win XP Pro, but I'll check what happens from 2k Pro
and Server and 2k3 Server as well.