[wpkg-users] upgrade to latest wpkg (1.1.2

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Mon Sep 28 18:38:12 CEST 2009

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Pendl Stefan wrote:
> >         for 1.1.2 you need to copy the config.xml file too,
> since it has changed the encoding and some additional settings.
>
> Well actually you don't need to. If you're running WPKG 1.1.x
> you could simply
> replace wpkg.js. However all "new" parameters in config.xml
> will be set to the
> defaults (which is the case for most parameters even if you
> migrate your
> config.xml). Some messages have been shortened (EN/DE) to
> work with the new
> Windows Vista/7 "msg.exe" command. Maybe somebody speaking
> French or Italian
> could do the same for these languages...
>
> I think it's anyway a good idea not to bother the user with
> huge text messages.
>

> So I fully agree that you "should" migrate your settings to
> the new config.xml
> but WPKG could also run with your old wpkg.xml (unless you're
> using msg.exe user
> notification with old, long, messages).
>

> br,
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,
        I use the config.xml file as a resource for the command line switches, because I do not need to run wpkg.js.
In addition I noticed the encoding of the file changed from "CP 1252" to "UTF-8 with BOM", which might be due to compatibility issues with the Unicode characters.

Using WinMerge it takes just a few minutes to update my testing and my production environment, since I already used the latest RC in my test environment, there was nothing holding me back to roll it out to the production immediately.

---
Stefan