[wpkg-users] windows 7 problem with one package

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Tue Apr 27 08:41:13 CEST 2010

> I have a simple package that installs an engineering program.  It
> looks like this:
>
> <package id="retainpro" name="Retain Pro 9" revision="2">
> <check type="uninstall" condition="versiongreaterorequal" path="Retain
Pro 9"
> value="2009.9" />
> <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\RetainPro\RP9_SETUP.exe" /s' />
> <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\RetainPro\RP9_SETUP.exe" /s' />
> </package>
>
> This works on all my XP machines.  On Win 7 it works fine if run
> from a command
> prompt using wpkg in debug mode.  But if run at boot time it hangs
> and does not
> return.  This does not appear to be the "protected desktop" problem
recently
> discussed, because if I log in as administrator immediately after
> bootup I do not see
> the message about "Interactive Services Detection".

This is a shot in the dark - is "show gui" activated in the wpkg service?
I had several packages behave oddly when this was not active (stalling or
failing).

Does this behaviour occur also if you start the service manually ("sc
start wpkgservice") some minutes after full bootup? Reason is that at
bootup services in Win7 can be deferred - this may change behaviour.

Last step would be watching the install with Process Explorer and/pr
Process Monitor.

Best Regards
        Heiko