[wpkg-users] windows 7 problem with one package

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Apr 27 19:56:00 CEST 2010

On 4/26/2010 11:41 PM, heiko.helmle at horiba.com wrote:
>  >
>  > I have a simple package that installs an engineering program. It
>  > looks like this:
>  >
>  > <package id="retainpro" name="Retain Pro 9" revision="2">
>  > <check type="uninstall" condition="versiongreaterorequal"
> path="Retain Pro 9"
>  > value="2009.9" />
>  > <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\RetainPro\RP9_SETUP.exe" /s' />
>  > <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\RetainPro\RP9_SETUP.exe" /s' />
>  > </package>
>  >
>  > This works on all my XP machines. On Win 7 it works fine if run
>  > from a command
>  > prompt using wpkg in debug mode. But if run at boot time it hangs
>  > and does not
>  > return. This does not appear to be the "protected desktop" problem
> recently
>  > discussed, because if I log in as administrator immediately after
>  > bootup I do not see
>  > the message about "Interactive Services Detection".
>  >

> This is a shot in the dark - is "show gui" activated in the wpkg
> service? I had several packages behave oddly when this was not active
> (stalling or failing).

I never thought of that. On your suggestion I tried showing the GUI, but the results
were the same.  Except that now the Interactive Services Detection does indicate that
a process needs some user interaction.  When I try to display the window, I see only
two black boxes, without any text or buttons.  One of the boxes is probably cscript.
  The other may hold the answer to the problem, but I cannot see it.

> Does this behaviour occur also if you start the service manually ("sc
> start wpkgservice") some minutes after full bootup? Reason is that at
> bootup services in Win7 can be deferred - this may change behaviour.

Good idea.  To test this I changed wpkg client to run at shutdown.  Unfortunately, no
change in the result.

> Last step would be watching the install with Process Explorer and/pr
> Process Monitor.

Good idea.  I started process explorer after the install hung. I tried to bring it to
the front, but it said there were no visible windows to display.

> Best Regards
> Heiko

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.