[wpkg-users] Windows 7 Install

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 08:56:11 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:12 PM,  <Jeff_Applegate at fws.gov> wrote:
> Has anyone seen the following error:
>
> First Error Message:
> You must have an administration privilege on this computer.
>
> Second Error Message:
> There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program run as
> part of this setup did not complete as expected. Contact your support
> personnel or package vendor.
>
> First I am an administrator on the system as I can install other packages
> with no issue.  I have also tried downloading the package from the website
> again.  The package is 1.3.9 and is x64.  I have also attempted to run the
> installer locally.  This is on a clean install of Windows 7 x64.  Any and
> all help is appreciated.

well, it definately looks like a permissions issue :)

Do you get this problem when trying to install the wpkg client software
itself? Or is this a message from a package to be installed by the wpkg
software? I have no x64 windows 7, but I run wpkg x64 with windows
2008r2 without those issues.

If the message is from a wpkg package (wpkg is trying to install another
application, then you need to check some things:

If you run wpkg as a windows service, under what account does it run? I
run the standard package as local system and it just works.

If you run it in a scheduled task, check also the account that is
running this.

As a last (for now) troubleshooting measure, in %windir%\temp there is a
file wpkg-%computername%.log with very detailed info of what wpkg has
done during its last run. Check it out to find errors. you can also run
wpkg from the cli with the /debug flag to see the same info live on a
console.

--
groeten,
natxo