[wpkg-users] Variable expansion question

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Fri Feb 19 22:48:42 CET 2010

> I'm having difficulties understanding the expansion of the
> %SOFTWARE% variable.  I've created a custom path on my server
> from which to serve installers.  I've created the SOFTWARE
> variable in the client (version 1.3.14) and I've set and
> verified the path in my silent installer.  However, when I
> run cscript /debug from the client I receive a "file not
> found" error from the silent installer, as if the expanded
> path is incorrect.  I can successfully browse to the
> installer folder from Windows Explorer.  Is there a way to
> discover how the wpkg client is actually expanding the
> %SOFTWARE% variable, similar to a shell >echo $SOFTWARE ?

This has been working for me since day one of implementing WPKG.

You can use the following install command to check the value of a variable:

        %ComSpec% /c echo %SOFTWARE% >%TMP%\info.txt

If you are running your installation with the SYSTEM account, the file will be placed into %SystemRoot%\Temp, usually C:\WINDOWS\Temp, else in the temporary folder of the executing user.

---
Stefan