[wpkg-users] Will WPKG uninstall software it did not install?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Sat Feb 27 00:22:47 CET 2010

Hi Kevin,

On 26.02.2010 23:19, Kevin Keane wrote:
>> WPKG does __not__ scan the installed software and remove anything,
>> which does not match the profile of the computer.
>
> To be honest, I don't completely trust WPKG in this respect. I have never been able to conclusively determine any scenario, but I could have sworn I had seen WPKG remove software that had never been part of the profile (even after we discussed it on this list a couple months ago).

This would be quite magic since there is no code in wpkg.js to scan for software
which is not within the profile assigned to the host and which was never part of
the profile.

So WPKG does never touch any part of the system which is not under its control
(means not within the profile at any time). WPKG also never executes commands
you didn not specify within the package definition. So if you do not have any
commands which could make WPKG to remove Firefox it will never be able to remove
it. Even if you have a Firefox package in your packages.xml which is NOT
assigned to the host WPKG will never ever run any of these commands unless you
assign that package to the host at least once.

If you find a reproducible case where WPKG would "invent" some code/commands
please let me know, I would be very interested to analyze it.