[wpkg-users] A few quick questions

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Thu Jul 1 21:58:00 CEST 2010

On 7/1/2010 2:01 PM, Sean wrote:
>> Should this be
>> possible? Would I have to remove all the packages that the old installation
>> installed and reinstall them with the new so it would know what it can
>> control? Should I be able to remove the old client using the new client?
>>
> We use AD Group Policy to handle the installation of the actual WPKG
> software. It's the only software that's managed via Group Policy, with
> the rest handled via WPKG. It might not be applicable in your case,
> but that's how we get around the "chicken and egg" problem.

We use OpenLDAP rather than AD so that isn't an option as far as I know.
LDAP may have a similar setup but I will have to look into that.

>> Also, what is the best way to use wpkg to change the administrator account
>> password on windows xp and vista?
>>
> We use the pspasswd tool, which is part of the pstools package
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896649.aspx).
>
> -Sean

I like what I see on the pstools. A quick search did not turn up
anything on being able to push it out via wpkg but that would be a nice
feature. I would LOVE to be able to log people off
remotely/automagically at a set date/time so wpkg could do its magic and
update everyone.

Donny B.