[wpkg-users] Registry change during boot and roaming profiles

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Jul 22 16:31:18 CEST 2010

Hi Sebastian,

On 22.07.2010 15:59, Sebastian Hoffmann wrote:
>  Yeah thanks, that solved the problem with the Firefox package under W2K for me.
>
> I found a "newer" ;-)  version, 2.4.2, under
> http://www.grossmatten.ch/share-freeware/Microsoft/SysInternals/PsTools%202.42/PsTools/
>

> But what can I do when I have to set registry keys during delayed logon with
> roaming profiles?
> In my opinion they are always restored from the roaming profile during login
> when they first have been deleted by the uninstall cmd during delayed logon. Or
> am I wrong?

You can't access HKCU registry trees with WPKG running from WPKG client as a
service. The reason is simple: WPKG will run within a different user context and
HKCU will refer to the SYSTEM user account (typically) only.

In order to change HKCU you need to run a command within the user context.
Typically WPKG should not be run within user context since software deployment
is not possible within user context unless the user has full local admin
privileges (which is a bad idea to give to users usually).
So chose a tool to run a script within the user context. For example logon
scripts or AD policies.

I remember that somebody posted here on the list that he's using a second
instance of WPKG which is run by the logon script in order to deploy user
settings (only packages which modify the user context). But I think WPKG might
not be the right tool to do this.