[wpkg-users] Firefox 3.6

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Jul 23 13:04:00 CEST 2010

Hi Marco,

On 23.07.2010 12:04, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Reading around on past years i've found hint to append to
> %PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\all.js file the two row, i
> don't know i can create %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
> Firefox\defaults\pref\policies.js or %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
> Firefox\defaults\pref\local.js

I would not prefer to append (and therefore modify) some existing files of
Firefox. I always prefer plugin-mechanisms which add files without having to
modify existing ones. Especially this usually simplifies migration if you don't
have to re-append but just to insert some additional files.

> Where i can get some info? Google point me to nothing...
> Or it is a general feature, eg all files on %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
> Firefox\defaults\pref\ directory are loaded in turn?

I think I initially found this information on mozillazine. Like this:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locking_preferences>

> PS: a little corollary... why use defaults/prefs/local.js to load
> another .js file, why not simply put all the settings on
> defaults/prefs/local.js itself?

I don't like modifying existing files. It complicates migration and might have
side-effects. Firefox might change the contents of the included files or start
to verify checksums or whatever...