[wpkg-users] Will WPKG uninstall software it did not install?

Thomas Wootten jetshopit at o2.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 12:31:03 CET 2010

On 26/02/2010 16:54, wpkg-users-request at lists.wpkg.org wrote:
> ------------------------------
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:00:39 +1000
> From: Peter Gough<pmgough at gmail.com>
> To: Chris Wilcox<not_rich_yet at hotmail.com>
> Cc: wpkg<wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org>
> Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] Will WPKG uninstall software it did not
> 	install?
> <snip>
>
> My advice would be to setup a test environment first, rollout wpkg to a
> select pilot group of patient users and then introduce the across the rest
> of your machines.
>
> BTW are users really able to install anything they want in your environment?
> Sounds like a recipe for potential disaster!

We're a pretty small place, and I'm pretty new. Most of the software in
question is stuff present when I started, and I'm not sure people will
take well to having Windows reinstalled on their PCs.

We already have a test environment of sorts - the computer suite open to
the public has WPKG in use. But it's a general 'does this work well'
test, rather than testing specific cases, and most of those PCs needed a
fresh windows install anyway.

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I can be reasonably confident wpkg
won't clobber stuff. I'm always using latest versions, so I don't need
to worry about WPKG replacing eg Fx 3.6 with Fx 3.5.

Someone did mention a /noremove switch though. I presume this makes WPKG
not remove stuff, ever. Since I'm unlikely to want to remove stuff using
wpkg, how can I use this switch or an equivalent configuration option?