[wpkg-users] Will WPKG uninstall software it did not install?

Bill Prentice Bprentice at campuspartners.com
Mon Mar 1 15:23:45 CET 2010

If the software has something that can be checked install checks are written properly you can have a minimum version or something similar. In my environment I want specific versions installed so as to be able to properly support my environment so I specify exact version information as much as possible.

On the same note it is possible for WPKG to be used to remove software it didn't install but I have found it is somewhat non-obvious and difficult. I've done this on machines where I had only remote access and didn't want to give the user local admin.

Here's how I've done it:

NOTES :
1] You must do this per machine.
2] You must have access to the local machine's c:\windows\system32\wpkg.xml
3] You need the uninstall command for the software in question.

Define a package for the software to be removed and add it to the specific host's profile. In my case I was downgrading some people from Visio Pro to Visio Std. Do not do install checks (you already know the software's there or else why would you be removing it???). Here's the removal package for Visio 2003 Pro I made:

	<package id="RemVisio2003Pro" name="RemVisio2003Pro" revision="1" reboot="false" priority="0">
		<install cmd='c:\windows\system32\MsiExec.exe /x{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} /q'/>
	</package>

Restart WPKG Service. Wait for it to finish processing the package (can be confirmed via application event log). Stop the WPKG Service and delete the wpkg.xml file on the client. Remove the package from the host profile of the client PC and start the client's WPKG Service back up.

Kind regards,

Bill Prentice
K.T.J.R.
Striving for R.F.C. 1925 compliance