[wpkg-users] A few issue

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 2 13:14:41 CET 2010

On 02.03.2010 12:54, Vasaris wrote:
>> On 02.03.2010 12:25, Vasaris wrote:
>>
>>> 4. 1.3.14 is broken. It does not reads settings.xml file on the client side. I have custom settings.xml to install on the shutdown instead of the startup, custom messages localizes in Lithuanian - does not work any of it.
>>
>> If you start wpkginst.exe, do you see your custom settings there?
>
> I beg my pardon, but start it where/under what circumstances?

Double click on wpkginst.exe in %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg - it will launch a
setting window.

>> If not, how did you "apply" the settings (from settings.xml file)?
>
> I do not "apply" them manually in any way. I have used .mst transform on the 1.3.14 beta install to point SETTINGSFILE property in the .mst to the C:\system\wpkg\settings.xml. I do not know, where this setting is store at the client, i did not see it either in the registry in WPKG* keys, or in the server startup line (ImagePath C:\Program Files\wpkg\WPKGSrv.exe)
>
> This file is pushed by another script from the network location to the clients. I always edit the file in the network location, by first importing it, changing values/properties, exporting it on top&  overwriting in-place. The push-script works perfectly, the file gets copied everytime the client workstation reboots.

Sorry, can't help you here, I never transformed a msi file as it's just
too complicated and unreliable (as we can see above).

The supported way to change settings is to:

- launch the wpkginst.exe, or,
- http://wpkg.org/WPKG#Changing_WPKG_Client_settings
- upgrade the MSI and point it to a settings file:
http://wpkg.org/WPKG#WPKG_Client_upgrade