[wpkg-users] A few issue

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 2 14:04:03 CET 2010

On 02.03.2010 13:54, Vasaris wrote:
>>> I beg my pardon, but start it where/under what circumstances?
>>
>> Double click on wpkginst.exe in %PROGRAMFILES%wpkg - it will launch a setting window.
>
> Do I have to do that on the client workstation, experiencing issues?

Well, yes.

>> Sorry, can't help you here, I never transformed a msi file as it's just too complicated and unreliable (as we can see above).
>
> I beg my pardon, but did not transformed .msi file itself. I created .mst additional file, which is applied on top of the .msi package. I did it by the book:
>
> http://wpkg.org/WPKG_Client#Installation_via_Group_Policy
> more precisely:
> http://wpkg.org/WPKG_Client#Creating_a_Transform

Looks like something didn't go well then.
Sorry, can't help you here.

>> The supported way to change settings is to:
>>
>> - launch the wpkginst.exe, or,
>> - http://wpkg.org/WPKG#Changing_WPKG_Client_settings
>> - upgrade the MSI and point it to a settings file: http://wpkg.org/WPKG#WPKG_Client_upgrade
>
> Does this mean, that all Group Policy/Active Directory deployment is not supported? I have made different impressions :-|

I wasn't aware that you can't set MSI parameters via Active Directory -
they advertise it as it supports MSI packages, but it turns out it's not
really full support.

Anyway - next version should look for the config file if it's not
specified, which should solve your problems.

It should also finally upgrade successfully from 1.3.14 (as previous
versions may cause problems in some circumstances and the upgrade will
fail, as you described).

> In addition - from where does Wpkg Windows service (as a client) know, where to look for settings.xml? Where is the value, passed by transform/command line is stored? Registry? File system?

It stores its settings in the registry, and most of them are kept in
secure lockers in registry, so you won't be able to access them.

The service itself does not look for settings.xml file anywhere; it is
"applied" by wpkginst.exe (either manually, or during the installation).