[wpkg-users] A few issue

Vasaris krx at takas.lt
Tue Mar 2 15:13:18 CET 2010

> On 02.03.2010 13:54, Vasaris wrote:
> >> Double click on wpkginst.exe in %PROGRAMFILES%wpkg - it will launch a setting window.
> >
> > Do I have to do that on the client workstation, experiencing issues?
>
> Well, yes.

I did so. The settings, which were set by me before, were not loaded. But the settings.xml file with the good settings is there, if I open it with Notepad, I see all the changes I did exported out on the last configuration cycle.

> > http://wpkg.org/WPKG_Client#Installation_via_Group_Policy
> > more precisely:
> > http://wpkg.org/WPKG_Client#Creating_a_Transform
>
> Looks like something didn't go well then.
> Sorry, can't help you here.

Maybe. Perhaps you know, who is responsible for .msi file creation and maintenance? Perhaps I could talk to that person, and give feedback, so the issues might get fixed?

> I wasn't aware that you can't set MSI parameters via Active Directory -

Sorry, I have not stressed that before.

> they advertise it as it supports MSI packages, but it turns out it's not really full support.

I think the support there is, but until now nobody have bumped into such issues.

> Anyway - next version should look for the config file if it's not specified, which should solve your problems.

Which one? 1.3.15? Maybe there is tracking/roadmap, therefore I could get notified, when it is out?

> It should also finally upgrade successfully from 1.3.14 (as previous
> versions may cause problems in some circumstances and the upgrade will
> fail, as you described).

Do you mean, that 1.3.14 => 1.3.14+ upgrade will be fixed? Or from pre-1.3.14 => 1.3.14?

> It stores its settings in the registry, and most of them are kept in
> secure lockers in registry, so you won't be able to access them.
>
> The service itself does not look for settings.xml file anywhere; it is
> "applied" by wpkginst.exe (either manually, or during the installation).

I am sorry, but I do not understand that. What, does it means "applied"? Is is stored in wpkginst.exe itself, as compiled?

Until now, I have thought, that settings.xml file is read everytime by WPKG service, when it runs.

And that it is specified in .mst transform, or in the command line, if the client .msi package is deployed manually. And this setting goes to the service startup parameters. May you clarify this for me?

Regards,

Andrew.