[wpkg-users] Adobe Flash Player for Internet Explorer and Firefox/Opera

Jason Oster jason.oster at campnavajo.com
Fri Nov 5 19:07:49 CET 2010

On 11/05/2010 05:50 AM, Ulli Conrad wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> could someone please explain why there's an uninstall command
> (<install cmd='%SOFTWARE%\flash\uninstall_flash_player.exe -
> uninstall'><exit code='any' /></install>) in the code for WPKG
> installer for Internet Explorer on http://wpkg.org/Flash_Player (line
> 16)?
>
> Guess it shall remove older FlashPlayer versions before installing a
> new one. But updating works also without removing an older version
> first. And it seems that uninstall_flash_player.exe is removing both
> (IE and Forefox) FlashPlayer versions, so it affects also FlashPlayer
> installation for Firefox...

I had the same problem, so gave up on uninstall_flash_player.exe.  My
guess is that the original idea was to avoid changing the uninstall
command on every flash player IE upgrade, because Adobe insists on
changing the filename for it. The current filename is:

"%WINDIR%\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10h_Plugin.exe"

In the previous version, it was "FlashUtil10g_Plugin.exe" ...

You still have to do the same step with the Firefox Plugin, though, so
... blah!  An ideal solution would be to install both plugins in a
single package that depends on Firefox. And uninstall them both with
uninstall_flash_player.exe.