[wpkg-users] Deploy different versions of wpkg dependent on XP/Seven

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Wed Nov 17 12:34:57 CET 2010

zorgman <zorg at probesys.com> writes:

> Thanks for your help, i will try it to deploy wpkg, but if i can i
> would like to run minimum of batch script when i install package, and
> if i have understand, unattended scripts are run every time in
> packages definition:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> <packages>
>
> <package id='Pidgin' name='Pidgin IM' revision='254' priority='50'
> reboot='false' >
> <!-- Pidgin Instant Messaging -->
> <check type='uninstall' condition='exists' path='Pidgin' />
> <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\Pidgin v.2.5.4\unattended.cmd"' />
> <remove cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\Pidgin v.2.5.4\unattended-uninstall.cmd"' />
> <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\Pidgin v.2.5.4\unattended.cmd"' />
> <depends package-id='GTK' />
> </package>
> </packages>

No:

- the <install/> is run only if check fails

- the <upgrade/> is run only if package is installed and revision of
  package on the server is greater than the local one

- remove is run only if package is install and not listed any more in
  the profile that apply to the machine

> Is it the best way to manage different OS/Version with WPKG?(but it
> become more difficult to apply template config from "silent installer"
> and to do a simple copy/paste)

That's what we use here[1] (name are differents[2]):

- a generic engine[3] in each application directory

- an install/remove.cmd[4] which is near always the same for all
  applications

Regards, hope it will help.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://wpkg.org/User:Dad#application_layout