[wpkg-users] Deploy different versions of wpkg dependent on XP/Seven

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Wed Nov 17 15:17:52 CET 2010

zorgman <zorg at probesys.com> writes:

> Thanks Daniel and Rainer.

You're welcome.

> I think i will change the way i use WPKG to run install/remove script
> which handle problems.
>
> So i have a new question!
> How to migrate from some packages which match "wpkg xml strict usage"
> to "unattended.bat method".  I have to do again all my packages, and
> attach it to my profile, and detach old packages, so all packages will
> be removed and add again?

1. Just change the <install /> and <remove />

2. increment the revision, for example, before '9.4.0', after '9.4.0.1'

I usually add .X, with X a number to fix postinstallation things for the
same version of the binary, when version is increased, the <upgrade />
is performed unconditionally.

That's why you can choose to:

- omit the <upgrade > for the transitional XML package to avoid
  reinstallation

- put a specific script in <upgrade /> to just fix things if needed (I
  usually put my postinstall.cmd for a fix only upgrade)

When the upgrade is assumed to be "done" (with or without a <upgrade
/>), the check are performed, if they succeed, the new package
definition is stored in local package database.

Regards.
--
Daniel Dehennin
RAIP de l'Orne