[wpkg-users] Applying registry entry to all users (HKCU)

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Thu Nov 18 17:53:51 CET 2010

Mandi! Troy Hamilton
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I would recommend using Active Setup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Setup ).

Very nice, but for me misses some requirement, particulary in this way
there's no way to *impose* a settings, apart clearly build a complex
logon script that check every user registry settings and if different
from the current policy do something (eg, downgrade the policy revision
itself, so at next logon can be installed again).

Looking around i've found interesting project that can mimic the
''microsoft GPO'', particulary:

1) if you can keep on XP, and eclusively for user settings (for system
 settings we have WPKG itself) you can use the ''old style'' NT policy.
Still you can use XP templates, with minor tweaks:
	http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html
	http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910203/en-us

2) Use LGPO: seems that you can ''deploy'' the Local GPO and so
 effectively use them; i've not follow for now this way, but
interesting links are:
	http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/2010-January/006197.html
	http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784268(WS.10).aspx
	http://code.google.com/p/wpkg-gp/wiki/GroupPolicyReferences

3) Umpfh. A tool WPKG-like but user-based, that run on netlogon
 scripts. I've lost the link. ;)

Keeping on XP i'm still using 1, for now.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php