[wpkg-users] Passing Environment Variables to wpkg.js on the command line

Andy Welch Andy.Welch at blackbay.com
Wed Oct 20 10:41:15 CEST 2010

Hi all

I'm using wpkg.js rather than the windows service currently - creating
folders of shortcuts for our staff to install various packages and
components - a single interface for all installs in one place - whereas
our installers and ISO's are in many different locations.

What I would like to do is invoke a certain build from more than one
shortcut - passing in values for environment variables on the command
line.

Hence, a single package can be re-used.

A call might look like this:-

cscript \\server\path\wpkg.js <file:///\\server\path\wpkg.js>
/install:packagex /env:SQLSERVER=SQLDEV-2005-A
/env:SQLDBNAME=CUSTOMER-DB-1

<variable> declarations in the package would then be defaults, with
commandline values taking precedent.

If anyone has looked into such a modification or has some suggestions
this would be appreciated. I'll send this in as a suggested core
modification to wpkg.js.

Thanks

Andy Welch, NZ