[wpkg-users] problems with Firefox Extensions

Jason Oster jason.oster at campnavajo.com
Mon Oct 18 19:24:17 CEST 2010

On 10/17/2010 12:48 PM, Kevin Keane wrote:
> You are probably using an older version of firefox. The command line option has been removed in more recent versions.

Yes, and a simple work-around for more recent version of Firefox is to
just extract (7-zip FTW!) the XPI files to their expected location under
%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\

The "expected location" is defined in install.rdf, so I've always
manually checked.  It's usually either a UUID, or a namespace in the
form of an email address.  For example, Adblock Plus:

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla
Firefox\extensions\{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}"

And an example of a namespaced extension (for Thunderbird!) is LookOut:

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Thunderbird\extensions\lookout at aron.rubin"

The install-extensions.cmd batch script is apparently able to handle all
of this automagically.  I haven't used it, myself.