[wpkg-users] font install on Windows 7

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Sep 14 19:41:46 CEST 2010

I'm installing truetype fonts on Windows7-64bit machines using the method of copying
the font files to the C:\Windows\Fonts folder and then creating the registry entries.

This is generally described in the wiki
http://wpkg.org/Fonts
except that on 64-bit systems there is a second registry entry in the Wow6432Node.

Anyway, on Win7 the fonts do not show up in any applications or in the Font control
panel until the system is rebooted again. Then everything works fine. The extra
reboot is not required on XP machines.

I've tried restarting the Windows Font Cache Service.  I've tried deleting the
C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT file and then restarting the cache service.
I discovered that the FNTCACHE.DAT file is not re-created until a reboot.

Does anyone know a method to force Win7 to re-create the font cache without a reboot?

Before you ask, I am using this method because I don't know ahead of time what font
files will be installed or the names of the fonts. I am installing all ttf fonts that
happen to be in a temporary directory. I am using a perl routine with the Font::TTF
module to read the font name out of the ttf file.

In the past I have used other font installation methods (like Inno Setup packages)
successfully, but for this particular install I need a more flexible approach.

Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.