[wpkg-users] Invalid user permissions

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Sat Sep 18 02:03:03 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 17. September 2010, 23:16:18 schrieb Troy Hamilton:

> Scripts in the "All Users" startup folder will run with the permissions of
> the logging-in user.  So, yes, your restricted users won't have the ability
> to run them.  You'll want to either get the wpkg service working correctly
> (which I don't use, so I'm no help to troubleshoot it) or run your script
> from HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run so that it runs as
> the SYSTEM account (which has the appropriate permissions to install
> software).

It won't.  The Run key in HKLM behaves no different than the one in HKCU,
except its contents is read-only for normal user accounts.  It's like All
Users' startup vs. a specific user's startup.  To get WPKG running as SYSTEM
(or any other account that's not the one logging on), you need to use e.g. the
WPKG Client, the Group Policy Extension, a per computer domain logon script.

Cheers,
Malte