[wpkg-users] Invalid user permissions

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 23:16:18 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:05 PM, David Naylor <DNaylor at texastrustcu.org>wrote:

> The service doesn't seem to do anything so I have a script in the "all
> users" startup folder that runs the following command to kickstart it:
>
> cscript \\192.168.x.x\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize
>
> (where 192.168.x.x is the server address hosting wpkg scripts and target
> installers)
>
> Perhaps the script is what is running with the wrong permissions?  Ho hum.

Scripts in the "All Users" startup folder will run with the permissions of
the logging-in user.  So, yes, your restricted users won't have the ability
to run them.  You'll want to either get the wpkg service working correctly
(which I don't use, so I'm no help to troubleshoot it) or run your script
from HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run so that it runs as
the SYSTEM account (which has the appropriate permissions to install
software).  If you go with the second option, then you'll need to be sure
that "Domain Computers" or the appropriate group has read access to the wpkg
share on the server.

Cheers,

Troy