[wpkg-users] WPKG over multiple sites using local storage

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Sat Aug 27 18:35:22 CEST 2011

Mandi! Dave Goodbourn
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I'm looking at how's best to setup multiple WAN locations with our WPKG server.
> We currently have a WPKG server in London and are setting up an office in
> Europe. The two sites will be VPN'd together fine and the WPKG server will work

...but london is in europe. O;-)

> fine over the WAN, but is there a way to ease the file transfer by having
> another server in the second office just to store the files/software to update
> to reduce the amount of traffic between the two offices? Kind of like a proxy
> server in the second office but using the same WPKG server and database as in
> London.

I manage half a dozen of ''wpkg'' sites; they are not perfectly
identical, so i propagate the wpkg ''recipes'' using csync2
(http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/) and the installer repository with a mix
of unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) or using the
'<download />' tag inside the recipes.

All glued together using WPKG variables, but also the ability of samba
to ''aliases'' a server name, so \\FILE\wpkg and \\MEDIA\software are
always the wpkg installation and the installers repository.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php