[wpkg-users] FW: MSIs, install paths and different architectures

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:23:37 CET 2011

Am 06.12.2011 10:51, schrieb Andrew Rae:
> On 05/12/2011 20:58, "Andrew Rae"<A.M.Rae at leeds.ac.uk>  wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 05/12/2011 17:29, "Steve Kersley"<steve.kersley at keble.ox.ac.uk>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I have extracted the MSI from the InstallShield installation source, and
>>> it does support the INSTALLDIR property via the msiexec command line.
>>> However, Windows is being too clever.  It will let me install to c:\foo,
>>> but if I tell it to install to c:\Program Files\foo, it silently modifies
>>> that so that it installs to c:\Program Files (x86)\foo instead.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to forcibly install a 32-bit app into c:\Program Files
>>> on an x64 machine?
>>
>> If you really want to force it to that path, have you tried
>> "%systemdrive%\Program Files" or the full manual path i.e. "c:\Program
>> Files" instead of "%programfiles%" - or is that not an option?
>> When the application is run, however, the whole "System32"<-->  "SysWOW64"
>> folder&  similar for registry entries may be a problem, or it may notŠ if
>> it's just the install path that¹s the issue.
>>

>> It may not be that easy. Although, I could be wrong either way...
>> Andrew

A 32-bit installer can't access the 64-bit locations, since they are
redirected.

"C:\Program Files" will be redirected to "C:\Program Files (x86)"
automatically and only the application developer can change that.
The 32-bit applications don't even see %ProgramFiles(x86)% by default.
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384274%28VS.85%29.aspx

Why would you like to work against the O/S?
Play by the rules of the O/S and you are fine, if you don't, you will
get into trouble.

> Note to self: must use correct list email address

<OT>
Use Thunderbird and you can hit "Answer List" ;-)
For Outlook and others you must use "Answer All".
</OT>

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: