[wpkg-users] Push Install WPKG with Psexec

David Petterson david at ifm.liu.se
Thu Dec 8 10:13:39 CET 2011

On 2011-12-07 18:11, chiddie wrote:

> Hello, it's me again -.-
>
> As the subject says, i'm trying to deploy WPKG client to some computers over
> the network in order to widen my tests environment.
>
> I follwed the instructions:
>
> - created the getcomputers.vbs file
> - ran it and obtained the hosts.xml file
> - copied the file in a C:\Temp folder of the server, together with the
> settings.xml file to deploy
> - downloaded and installed PSTools in C:\PsTools
> - opened a command prompt
> - ran the command: c:\pstools
> - ran the command psexec -h -u domain\useradmin -p userpassword
> @"C:\Temp\hosts.xml" -d msiexec /i "C:\Temp\WPKG Client 1.3.14-x64.msi" /qb
> SETTINGSFILE="C:\Temp\settings.xml"
>
> The command prompt returned the message:

> PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
> Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
> Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
>
> \\PCNAME:
>
> msiexec started on PCNAME with process ID 3196.
>
> So everything seems to be ok. But if i then go to computer management,
> connect to PCNAME and go to see the PCNAME services list,  i don't see any
> WPKG Service installed.
>
> The PCNAME Event Viewer, in the System Tab, reports the following events in
> a short succession:

> Event Type:	Information
> Event Source:	Service Control Manager
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	7035
> Date:		07/12/2011
> Time:		17.35.07
> User:		domain\useradmin
> Computer:	PCNAME
> The PsExec service was successfully sent a start control.

> Event Type:	Information
> Event Source:	Service Control Manager
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	7036
> Date:		07/12/2011
> Time:		17.35.07
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	PCNAME
> The PsExec service entered the running state.

> Event Type:	Information
> Event Source:	Service Control Manager
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	7035
> Date:		07/12/2011
> Time:		17.35.08
> User:		domain\useradmin
> Computer:	PCNAME
> The PsExec service was successfully sent a stop control.

> Event Type:	Information
> Event Source:	Service Control Manager
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	7036
> Date:		07/12/2011
> Time:		17.35.08
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	PCNAME
> The PsExec service entered the stopped state.
>
> I see no other errors nor warnings in the other Event Viewer Tabs.
>
> The WPKG client is a small file, but i doubt it can auto-install itself in
> less than one second.
>
> The server from which i ran the psexec command runs Windows 2003 R2 x64,
> while the target PC runs Windows XP x64.

> [...]

Did you copy the files to C:\Temp on all the computers you want to
install them to?
If not, put them on a network share and install from there instead.
I install WPKG by a startup script that also checks that the service is
set to automatic.

/David

--
David Petterson <david at ifm.liu.se>		Phone: +46(0)13-28 2617