[wpkg-users] Firefox 8 and extension deployment

chiddie claudio.ghirardi at geniaware.com
Wed Dec 14 15:24:14 CET 2011

chiddie wrote:

>> You can „install“ extensions globally by copying them _anywhere_ e.g.
>> %ProgramFiles%\local\FirefoxExtensions
>> and registering them like described here:
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Adding_Extensions_using_the_Windows_Registry
>>

> Well, i can't believe it... but it works.
>
> I have only one more question: using this method, when i open firefox (8)
> the addon is detected but is disabled (or there's a mask saying that a new
> addon was detected but i have to choose if i want to install it or not).
> Is it possible to have addons/extensions installed/enabled by default when
> firefox starts?
>
> Thanks sooooo much anyway.

Ok, i fould the solution. According to this thread
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2320715 it's enough to
add to the usual mozilla.cfg file that i deploy with the installation
package the following lines:

// Disable the addon control wizard
lockPref("extensions.shownSelectionUI", true);

// Lists the directories that should be disabled (disabled here means that
addons from this directory are NOT automatically installed), see
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Installing_extensions
lockPref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 0);

I use lockPref instead of user_pref in order to have the setting locked for
the users (aka = the users cannot modify them). Remember the capital P in
lockPref command, otherwise WPKG will return an error  deploying the cfg
file (it took me two hours the first time to catch that the problem was that
stupid capital P).