[wpkg-users] Strange behavior of WPKG Client

chiddie claudio.ghirardi at geniaware.com
Tue Dec 20 14:13:55 CET 2011

Falko Trojahn-2 wrote:

> Hello,
>> Stefan Pendl-2 wrote:
>>> Run the following command line and spend some time reading.
>>>
>>> cscript wpkg.js /help >wpkg_help.txt
>>>
>>> You may like to check out the setting "applymultiple" to support the way
>>> you describe, but there are other ways, which allow better control and
>>> can't result in unwanted behavior as easy as enabling that setting.
>>>

>> Using the applymultiple flag apparently solves the problem. But:
>>
>> 1. How do i automatically update the settings file of all the network
>> clients?
> You could change this parameter (and/or others) in config.xml in your
> server share.
> http://wpkg.org/Documentation#Configuration_files
>
> But:
>
>> 2. What are the "other ways" you are talking about?
> Usually, using multiple profiles for a machine is not intended
> behaviour. Assign
> one profile to a group of hosts where the hosts need same software.
>
> A profile can depend from = include other profiles. So your "Domain
> group" profile
> could depend from a default profile which, in your case, includes the
> wpkg client package.
> http://wpkg.org/Profiles.xml#profiles.xml_structure
>
> Different groups of hosts can get different profiles assigned, read
> http://wpkg.org/Extended_host_attribute_matching
>
> Falko

I understood that it's not normal behavior. Usually the clients will have
only one profile (the standard application one) on which i will chain all
the packges one by one.

The multiple profile issue was caused by the fact that in order to test one
specific package i had to add an entry to the hosts.xml file in order to
make that one package apply only to my machine, and there i noticed that
only the first host line was parsed, so testing was difficult.

Now that i know that using the applymultiple flag i can bypass the issue,
there's no need for me to create a profiles folder with X profiles and a
hosts folder with X folders, using the default files is enough.

The only thing that i don't get is why WPKG always checks if WPKG_Client
package is installed, since now my conf is:

hosts.xml
==================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<wpkg>

	<host name="MYPC" profile-id="IncrediBuild Agent" />

	<host group="Domain Computers" profile-id="Standard Applications" />

</wpkg>
==================================

profiles.xml
==================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<profiles>

	<profile id="WPKG_Client">
		<package package-id="WPKG_Client" />
	</profile>

        <profile id="Standard Applications">
		<package package-id="7-Zip" />
	</profile>

	<profile id="IncrediBuild Agent">
		<package package-id="IncrediBuild Agent" />
	</profile>

</profiles>