[wpkg-users] Breaking package inheritance

Jon Rhoades jrhoades at svi.edu.au
Thu Jan 27 03:05:19 CET 2011

It actually just occurred to me how to do this...

In the application you want all users to get unless they have the full/better version, simply check to see if the other version is installed and ensure that priority is set so the better version installs first.

For example I want all users to have Adobe reader, except if they have Acrobat, so in the adobe reader package.xml I have:

<package id="adobereader9"
name="Adobe Reader 9"
revision="9410"
priority="50">
<check type="logical" condition="or">
<check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Adobe Reader 9.4.1" />
<check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro" />
</check>

Hence it won't install if Acrobat is installed.

It's a bit of a hack, and introduces a dependency on another file which I don't like, but I can live with it!

Regards Jon