[wpkg-users] Disable download switch and config options

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon May 16 11:59:08 CEST 2011

Hi Marco,

On 16.05.2011 11:40, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> This seems to me rather unoptimal:
>
>  + if download fail, also package have to fail.
>
>  + download step have to check if file exist, and if exist can ignore
>    them or redowload; to prevent abuse, better if an hash (md5) are
>    used.
>
>  + global status i think have not to be influenced by the download
>    status; i think that download failures have to be considered minor
>    failures and lead to a positive global exit status.
>

> Hope this help. Thanks.

Thanks for your analysis. I will have a look at the issues. Unfortunately the
download feature is not very widely used and therefore I fully believe that
there are some bugs with it.

I personally rather think about extending the download feature slightly instead
of providing a switch to disable downloads globally but keeping them in package XML.

- WPKG might support a flag in a download tag to disable removal after
  installation.

- WPKG might by default not re-download files which already exist on download
  target.

(- WPKG might verify MD5/checksum of downloaded file to check whether download
   was successful; requires some more effort)

This way you could target the download to the %SOFTWARE% share which might be on
local drive or on some non-writeable share. In case of local drive it would
download the file and in case of shared drive (where files already exist) it
will not download it.

For sure the exit code shall be dependent on the install state, not on download
state. I will verify it too.