[wpkg-users] Variables %SOFTWARE% without wpkg client

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri May 20 08:50:36 CEST 2011

Hi Dave,

On 19.05.2011 23:43, Dave Goodbourn wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> That makes sense.
>
> But I could use WPKG to change the system variable to any new changes needed! ;)

Sure you can. It just requires an additional package. But "timing" might be an
issue. For example imagine you move the location of %SOFTWARE% and therefore you
update your package which sets system variables and updates %SOFTWARE%. Now
there might be clients which did not synchronize since a while. So when they
synchronize the next time there might be some pending package removals in the
queue already. WPKG will first attempt to perform the removes before performing
the upgrades and finally the installations. In such case the removals might fail
if they depend on %SOFTWARE% which is not updated by the time removals are executed.
Usually not a big deal as after (even failed) removals the updates will be
applied and on next synchronization the removals will likely work again.
However, not the most clean solutions I think.

Also remember that the WPKG process itself runs in "old" environment on next
synchronization before it updates itself then.