[wpkg-users] Empty remove command

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Nov 21 18:19:49 CET 2011

In message <89C7D0B417B13D4CB5DE0D2271D22D2C011025C25D at CE2K8EMB.ier.gr
oup>
          VERDEYEN Jonathan <jverdeyen at automatic-systems.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I thought it all made sense but my problem is when I remove the
> package from the profile, it will try to uninstall the last update and
> fail as the install checks succeed and stop proceeding to any further
> uninstall as it couldn't uninstall the dependent package.

> In the end, I think there should be an option to remove a package
> without uninstalling the software, or is there already ?
> Thank you :)

This is a problem for me as well. i had a massive problem after I made
a typo in the script for Google Earth. I had to remove the package as
it was failing to install, and rebooting each time. Now it tries to
uninstall, then reboots, then tries to uninstall, then reboots ...

I had to boot each computer in safe mode and remove wpkg.xml from
c:\windows\system32 - that being the file which remembers the
uninstall command.

After this experience I generally create packages without uninstall
commands - and have to live with the "uninstall failed" messages.

I can see little advantage in caching the uninstall commands like
this, and as you see above, major potential disadvantages. If instead
the uninstall command is always read from the package on the server,
then removing the package from a profile would cause an uninstall,
while removing it from packages.xml would not. This would seem to give
an additional useful flexibility.

Or have I missed something which allows this anyway?

<snip>

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk