[wpkg-users] issue with 1.2.1-RC25?

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 21:12:42 CEST 2011

> > Where did you define the SOFTWARE variable?
> >

> Oops, I meant to add a sentence saying that my SOFTWARE
> variable is in the
> profile definition (actually, in a base profile, which is
> included as a
> dependency in the actual profile).  This has always worked for the
> packages, but I'd never tried a "double substitution," until now.

OK, so I think I know what the problem is.

The order of variable evaluation is as follows:

1) package variables
2) profile variables
3) host variables

So a host variable overwrites a profile and package variable of the same name.
A profile variable will overwrite a package variable of the same name.

The variable expansion of package variables is done while the variables are read in from the package, which leads to the situation
that your profile variable is not known yet.
This results in the variable being not expanded.

@Rainer,
Seems you will have to move variable expansion of variables contained in package variables after collecting host variables.
Might be even needed to expand the package variables after collecting each level of variables.

---
Stefan