[wpkg-users] Manual package dependencies being uninstalled on sync

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:44:51 CEST 2012

Am 08.08.2012 13:45, schrieb Steve Kersley:
> I’m not sure if there is a bug in the way that manual package
> installation is handled (unless it’s by design?), or more likely I have
> made a mistake in my package? A packages installed as a dependency to a
> package that is installed manually wants to uninstall itself again on
> next synchronization.
>
> For instance: I have a package, vc-runtime-2005, to install the MS VC++
> runtimes which depends on both the x86 and x64 packages (I felt it was
> more elegant to do it this way than one package which contains combined
> checks for both architectures, if applicable, and installed both if
> either check fails):
>
> [Originally the check, install, remove and upgrade statements weren’t
> here – I added these to ensure that the problem wasn’t being caused by
> wpkg not being able to tell if this parent package had installed
> successfully, see final paragraph below]
>
> <package id="vc-runtime-2005" name="Visual C++ 2005 Runtime"
> revision="8" reboot="false" priority="10">
>
>                  <depends package-id="vc-runtime-2005-x86" />
>
>                  <depends package-id="vc-runtime-2005-x64"
> architecture="x64" />

--snip

I usually use such a technique too and have never encountered a failure.

I would only include the 64-bit runtime files, since they aren't valid
for 32-bit Windows:

<package id="vc-runtime-2005" name="Visual C++ 2005 Runtime"
          revision="8" reboot="false" priority="10">

     <depends package-id="vc-runtime-2005-x86" />
     <include package-id="vc-runtime-2005-x64" architecture="x64" />
</package>

I think a dependence is only valid, if it is always needed.
If it is only valid for a certain number of clients, then it is better
to have an include.

This is just my personal opinion, so Rainer might have a better description.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: