[wpkg-users] Setting a variable in a profile doesnt over-rides that set in a package

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Jan 26 23:14:43 CET 2012

Hi Ronny,

On 26.01.2012 23:03, Ronny wrote:
> this is a good news. What about a config-variable which defines the order in
> which they are resolved? something like:
>
> <param name='VariableResolveOrder' value='host,profile,package' />
>
> or at least something like <param name='OverrideVariablesBy' value='package' />

See my answer to Stefan in the same thread. I am absolutely convinced that this
would be a nonsense-parameter which increases complexity at no added value.

Let me know if you're able to construct a scenario which cannot be solved in
current resolve order and is sufficiently common to require resolving it.
Moreover such a switch would apply to all packages, so admins would have to
decide from the beginning which approach to use.

Also think about the fact that during operations inside WPKG which do not
involve package (e.g. evaluating profiles or evaluating packages applying to
profile) the order is now also clearly defined (host override profile). Just to
mention it before somebody brings up the idea to make it even more complex by
adding that switch on package level which would then introduce inconsistency as
well (variables evaluated differently when used in profile than using it within
package). The results would be extremely difficult to predict even for me - and
I guess almost impossible to predict for the average user. Not even to mention
the tremendous effort of additional test cases required.

Feel free to convince me and provide examples where a switch would be the only
way to handle it.