[wpkg-users] User initiated runs of WPKG

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Thu Oct 11 08:48:24 CEST 2012

> I've been trying to figure out a way to allow end users to trigger
> WPKG to run when it is convenient to them. Ideally we could setup a
> shortcut on everyone's Start menu so that they could click "Install
> Updates" which would start wpkg.js. The issue I'm having with
> implementing this is that end users don't have local admin rights.
> Has anyone figured out a way to allow users to trigger wpkg.js with
> elevated privileges?

With WPKG-GP you could just go and make a shortcut to
%PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg-gp\wpkgpipeclient.exe Execute

This would start the normal WPKG-GP process and report in a window.

Better practice though would be asking the user to just reboot - for two
reasons:
1) Many installers expect the program to not be running during updates,
and will react differently if it is (kill, fail or schedule reboot).
Though there are some workarounds for that (for MSIs using /norestart and
catching exit code 3010), it's not as reliable as you'd wish, because many
many installers don't seem to go through proper testing.
2) If you trigger a reboot in an install definition, the user will get
kicked out of his session unexpectedly (and forcefully). This might result
in bad karma.

So better just pop up a message asking for a reboot and on the next boot,
WPKG-GP will do its business.

Best Regards
        Heiko