[wpkg-users] Office 2010 & Windows XP...

Jon Rhoades jrhoades at svi.edu.au
Tue Sep 18 07:11:33 CEST 2012

Hi,

We've been happily installing Office 2010 on Windows 7 for some time now. Unfortunately against my better judgment we need to install it on 30 or so Windows XP machines. I'm using the same package file, but with a new customised msp adminfile however the %comspec% /C start "" /WAIT fails to halt the progression of WPKG so the Office installer runs in parallel with other installs and obviously fails to install.

When I run WPKG manually from the command line I can see that the Office splash screen is spawned and the silent (ha!) installation occurs. My solution has been to set it as priority=0 so that it installs last without the possibility of interference.

IS this a Windows XP issues that it doesn't honor the start /wait option?

Cheers Jon

xpOffice2010.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<packages>
<package id="xpOffice2010"
name="OBI Microsoft Office 2010"
revision="1"
reboot="false"
priority="0">
<check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Microsoft Office Standard 2010" />
<install cmd='%comspec% /C start "" /WAIT "%SOFTWARE%\office\Office2010-MAK-SP1\setup.exe" /adminfile "%SOFTWARE%\office\obi.MSP"' >
<exit code="1641" />
<exit code="3010" />
</install>
<install cmd='"%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cscript" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /act'/>

<upgrade include="install" />
</package>
</packages>

--
Jon Rhoades
Research Information Systems

St Vincent's Institute
9 Princes St Fitzroy Vic 3065
p: 03 9288 2480 | x: 2399 | f: 03 9416 2676

www.stv.unimelb.edu.au
www.svi.edu.au