[wpkg-users] packages not installing/upgrading

Carlos R. Pasqualini pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar
Wed Sep 12 22:07:25 CEST 2012

El mié, 12-09-2012 a las 20:39 +0200, Stefan Pendl escribió:
> Am 12.09.2012 19:43, schrieb Carlos R. Pasqualini:
> >
> > As I understand the <check /> does not have any inference in the
> > decision of upgrading or downgrading a package.
> >

> The checks are defined to make sure the version to be installed with the
> current package is installed correctly.
>
> In general this means different things in different situations.
>
> 1) initial install (no entry in local wpkg.xml file):
>     check if software is already installed to prevent double installation
>
> 2) upgrade and downgrade (previous entry in local wpkg.xml file):
>     check if up-/downgrade really succeeded
>     this can be changed with some package attributes to check before
>     up-/downgrading
>
> 3) remove (package is no longer applied through a profile):
>     make sure the package is installed before it will be removed

That is what i have been understanding, so it seems Pat has the wrong
view of what <check /> does.
isn't it?

> ----
>
> What does the number after the hyphen mean in your version number?
>
> x.y.z-a ... what means "a"?

i reserve the last value for reviews of the .xml file with the same
version of the installer.

suppose i have a 1.2.3 version of the package, i'll create a 1.2.3-0
revision of the xml, and if i found something wrong in the XML file, i
can create 1.2.3-1 ... 1.2.3-9 without having trouble with the possibly
upcoming version 1.2.4 of the package.

It's just used by me.

¿do you think it's bad to do that?

> In general this should be solvable by using:
>      <downgrade include="remove"/>
>      <downgrade include="install"/>

i this particular case, i do not need to execute remove before install,
because i'am not really downgrading, i'm upgrading but WPKG thinks i'm
downgrading, apparently there was an error in a previous version of the
xml file (i'm trying to understand what have happened).

By the way, i have no way to know all the remove commands for every
package's version; as i understand, i cannot use the remove command of
other version of the XML package because it will call the remove section
of the current version of the XML package, not the remove section of the
installed version of the package; to call the remove section of the
installed package, i need to remove the package from the profile.

Best Regards